Monday, May 20, 2013

An Open Love Letter to the LAMB Cast of Les Miserables


I promised that I would try to record my feelings about the experience I just had with all of you as we tackled a personal dream of mine:   producing Les Miserables.  It is still hard to put into words the wonderful experience this has been for me....and I hope for you.   What an accomplishment.   What a labor of love.    What creativity...dedication....talent....determination went into this production.   As a teacher/director I reveled in the personal growth of each of you as artists which I witnessed each rehearsal and with each performance.  The sensitivity and reverence which you demonstrated throughout these past two months has been inspirational.


I joked that I have been in love with this musical since it first appeared on Broadway 25 years ago....back when I could have played young Cosette (I think I am stretching that a bit!!!)  This was the musical that I decided to center my middle school general music class on and I was delighted to teach and teach and reteach the epic tale between 50 - 60 times.   The three week unit was a high point as the music and story had the ability to grab a young teen's interest.    What youngster doesn't enjoy action, good/evil, romance, intrigue, and powerful messages about living.   When especially energetic, I would jump up on the piano bench and die the good Javert death.... In my mind the lights, costumes and set pieces were there.   I loved those times and so it went without saying that I felt so honored and so fulfilled to be given the opportunity to translate my imaginings to a fully production that others could ACTUALLY see.....

We were so fortunate to be among a small handful of productions of Les Miserables that have been produced by non-equity houses since the rights were officially released this spring.   There will be thousands of productions to come after and I wish for each and every one of them to be as fulfilling and have as dedicated and talented actors/techs/designers as we have been blessed with.   Thank you, dear cast and crew, for making this experience a once in a lifetime one. I look forward to working with each and everyone of you in the very near future.   
Diana




Diana Guhin Wooley 
CEO LAMB Arts Ltd
417 Market Street Sioux City, IA 51103
712-293-0930
Keep current with LAMB--:www.lambtheatre.com

No comments:

Post a Comment