Monday, January 9, 2012

I DO Believe in Miracles!

The last blog I wrote, although thankful for all the wonderful kindnesses and memories of actors, students, patrons through the past 32 years, I had a very "heavy heart".    Financially LAMB was struggling to the point of having to close her doors. (Yes, the "her" was intentional) Having to admit there is a problem is difficult for me.   I am the perennial Pollyanna.  I don't want anyone to know there is something that I can not do - or fix myself.   In other words, I HATE to reveal a problem and...even more...I HATE to ask for help.  But help was what was desperately needed.   Believe it or not, we wrestled with the idea of what would happen if we just couldn't continue.    Would LAMB be missed?  Had LAMB outlived her place in the Siouxland community? What would Russ and I do ourselves without the creative outlet of LAMB?  What ramifications/complications would there be in dissolving such a longtime institution?  We did the old pro and con comparison of closing our doors with that of trying to remain open.   We shared our thoughts with a few people and it became clear that no matter how difficult it would be for me personally, we would just have to ask for help.  As CEO, that was in my "job description".  Now that LAMB is a not for profit  organization, she is no longer "owned" by two...but "owned" by the Siouxland community at large. The decision to reveal the financial difficulties was not mine to conceal.   We knew that if we made a plea and if help came, LAMB was meant to survive and we would be charged with doing our very best to allow her to thrive into her fourth decade and beyond.
Well....as you may recall, I stated that $15,000 was needed prior to the end of December, with another $15,000 needed by the end of January.   I made the situation known on December 20. 

I DO Believe in Miracles!   
By the end of December, our supporters had raised $19,000!  This past Friday, only 18 days from when I revealed our financial challenges, we are only $4,311 away from our $30,000 goal!!!!   $25,689 has come in from over 20 different zip codes! As absolutely awesome this financial response has been, the comments/encouragement/best wishes/memories/thanks have been just as incredibly heartwarming.   I was wrong to even doubt the impact that LAMB has had in our community...and beyond.   LAMB still has a future worth fighting for.   We still have an important place to fill in our community.

Well.....we STILL need to come up with the final $4,311 in the next 21 days.   This $30,000 will allow LAMB to survive until our annual campaign in late spring, when we will be able to add the "thrive" to the "survive". 

Our community of LAMB Patrons are awesome!   We deeply appreciate your gifts.   We are heartened and encouraged by your support and encouragement. You are demonstrating to all of Siouxland that LAMB is meant to continue to offer high quality theatrical presentations and excellence in theatre arts learning experiences.  

We just need a "little more" in the Miracle department before January 31---and we are SO close!

If you are one of our angels....THANK YOU!   If you would like to be a part of that angelic group that is breathing new life into LAMB Theatre, please consider your gift today!

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to respond to this blog and I will get back to you asap.
(The photo is from EVE'S ODDS, an opera presented by The LAMB School in January 2010---yup....those are angels there too!)

Diana Guhin Wooley
CEO LAMB Arts Ltd
417 Market Street
Sioux City, IA 51103     712-293-0930
Keep current with LAMB--:www.lambtheatre.com

No comments:

Post a Comment